The Church Project

Toledo, Oregon.
I became the lucky owner of The St. Marks Lutherin Church of Toledo in September 2004 after placing the high bid on ebay.
Perched high above the pews in an amazing 1890's church, the space is quite and still, while also allowing for a transcendence from the busy world. The church is my portal to the rich world where subdued thoughts come forth and make themselves known.
The raw simplicity, minimal timeless design, symmetry and period details have a way of slothing off the sludge of a society full of embellished consumer rubbish, where more is money. This ethereal space lends it's open layout to sharing the moments within, versus over taking them through a maze of compartmentalized spaces of the conventional abode.
Oregon Spiders~
I left the airborne attackers back in humid Houston, but the spiders in Coastal Oregon were literally coming out of the woodwork. Upon moving into an abandoned old church built in the 1890's, and uninhabited for at least a few years, perhaps you can imagine the cobweb party I blindly fell into and broke up. After I removed their webs, days went by where they were on the prowl for the next best undisturbed corner. I could have created an entire portfolio of bug corpses. The bedtime ritual consisted of tossing the sheets and often ended in a sporadic waking of what was thought to be an eight-legged creepy crawler on my face, or even worse, under the sheets! They all seem to have left for higher grounds...not sure if it's the sanding, paint, dust or loud music...but it's a rare sight to find one inside, thankfully!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home