October 2006 in Oregon
My proud stock from Heritage Home Parts...windows for 50 cents/pane, so my 5'x6' window cost $3...etc. The floor was .15/foot, for 2" T&G!
Demo time! The skeleton of the wheel chair access ramp leading to the rear deck which stayed. The columns supporting the roof were used to also support the floor and walls, yet, they were not aligned as well as one might desire, therefore extra perimeter beams were used to keep a line...pattern 105 vintage cedar for the exterior siding.
Beginning the floor with 12" perimeter joists, and 8" floor joists. Joya supplied all the 12" and the (8) gray joists in the picture as recycled from her job site. Treated lumber from Gray's bargain yard...more nice deals in Oregon!
Dali reincarnated~ & Jacquelyn's fish. These pumkins were set free down the slough as the tide was on it's way out. They picked up speed quite well, as they drifted out to the raging pacific...although Jacquelyn's was the only one that decided to enjoy the view from underwater...perhaps the fish motif was meant to be!
The downstairs of the church...a.k.a. the spider dungeon! I stay out of this place...although I will add updated photos prior to leaving since I think the feel will be very nice upon completion! The downstairs apartment will be rented prior to leaving for San Diego!
A fuzzy shot of the floor level in the chapel. More recycled doors ($40/each) used to wall in the glass blowing studio, with glory hole glowing orange in the background. Very unfinished at this point...but functional!
A view of the unfinished loft project, the kitchen, bathroom on left...notice the recycled plywood taken from Joya site on the stove island...tbf. This is where the cook takes charge of the congregation, versus the podium. I'll have to get a priest suit to use as a cooking apron.
a magical place made of molten nights with Texas size glowing cutips spinning to radiohead.
shazam! Such the vintage look I was looking for, although still in progress...I bought some inexpensive material and made the plaid curtains to go with the natural silver cedar siding and red door. There are three sets of factory style windows down the side and a large 4-6 on the back wall! Has a sweet old world feel on the inside. I may add some loft beds to this area for guests....or perhaps extend out for a glass studio in the trees!
A couple pieces of glass...pitcher set and a green/red incalmo dainty pitcher...first one attempted, and can't wait to fine tune this design.
The last couple months have been spent traveling to San Diego for my friend's wedding, off to Houston for an art show with my mom and her ceramic art as well as jewelry, then a glass cram for glass gallery in Lincoln City. As busy as it was, the production has been in the red during the last couple weeks. Glass blowing is like a mystical winter storm that only appears when the time is right due to other external pressures to get the downstairs of the church completed and rented. However each session is magical and I'm finding a smoother flow and grace with each piece.
Part of the phase shift is due to my tenants dog, rocky, attacking my neighbor, Rick...Then moving out to safer harbors with respect to their aggressive pet. A time to get back to Diego and seal up the lower story of the house from some previous rat infestation issues...uuggghgh, we all need housing and food, even the rats.
Shifting from glass to church renovator, I've been completing the lower story by creating closets and built in book shelves, as well as a bedroom, and other architectural aspects. Heating will be from a wood burning stove, and new wiring was run upon upgrading my average from 100, to 200...A bit of a fiasco considering I like to work in laissez faire style.
I then decided that I'd add a 6x35 foot room onto the side of the church since Heritage Home Parts is going out of business. Most of the materials were either recycled materials, such as the t&g fir floor, as well as most floor joists, some of the siding, interior paneling, and all the windows. The side of the room has a sliding wall that open with use of barn door hardward to open the interior to the great outdoors. There is a brilliant yellow maple right out the opening wall that truly stands out in all it's glory among the ever greens. I'm about to blow glass lanterns to hang along the outside to light the path to the lower unit, as well as down the center of the room.
With my travels south...New ideas of what I will do to pay off my nearly year round time away from engineering design. I'm thinking high end lighting, and other glass product lines, as well as one off creative pieces. I'm excited about a new endeavor and look forward to designing some of my own products.
Below are a few pics of the church, some glass, a pumkin I carved to resemble Dali....please excuse the quality...no tripod at the moment.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home