Burningman '08







Like a flash in the night, burningman came and went. I sped off toward Black Rock Nevada on my BMW K1200RS in a hurry right after work on Wednesday around 7pm. I ended up meeting my wonderful friend Ikuko, in Hollywood. She took me to Yamashiro, a beautiful Japanese castle over looking the city lights of LA. The next day I left Hollywood at 10 a.m. and ran with 7 lanes of concrete toward Sacramento, while having teleconferences at each gas station...big problems arise on projects as soon as vacation plans are in the works :). I made it to Reno by 6 pm, and blasted off the beaten path to desolate roads near Pyramid lake where I could open the bike to it's finest expectations, slicing thru the cool blue sunset, resting atop the mountain peaks. I made it to Burningman by 930, and had no problems finding my fellow desert revelers in fine attire, ready for an evening feast before we tromped out into the unknown ethos of BM08.
We walked the playa this year since it was a bit rutted up, bumpy and sand slushiness that took the best of your maneuvering abilities. Mostly a night of dancing, bar hopping, and utter bliss at the exorbitant abundance of creative gadgetry, invention and artistry.
The next day was brought to light with the fog horn of the water truck rolling by, and a mad dash out the tent to get a well needed rinsing of playa dust while rejuvenating the soul. We spent the day touring temples, searching for friends at center camp, while listening to live music, spoken word, seeing capoeira, full body painting, and of course critical tits bike ride.
Later that eve, dinner was served with wild rice, broccoli, lentil soup, and salmon cruets along with a myriad of elixirs. We ran thru the night till just around 1:30, and hung around camp conversing with late night travelers. Jordan and I hit the scene once more till nearly dawn, mixing in every bar on the way, as we danced from club to club.
Saturday came and half the camp was on the route out. We made a full group effort to tear down the extravagant campsite and bail out of BM before the winds pulled the white curtains to the extent of very limited visibility. On the way out of BM, I rode away with my dust mask on with visibility down to 5-10 feet ahead of me... I decided this time to venture down a new scenic trail through the small towns lining 395.
I again sped thru and made it home around 3:45 am...today is much about the juice and wheat grass, plus loads of much needed clean up. It's very nice to be back in San Diego. I have to say I love this town and all the beauty, fresh air, and cool ocean breezy nights. Tomorrow is Labor Day! Should be a nice holiday to rest easy and take in all this wonderful place has to offer.
I'm looking forward to getting back in the Studio with Nic Mcguire and making some more nice glasswork. Koko may come down tomorrow and we'll go for a surf, and hopefully make some art...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home