Saturday, March 30, 2013

912 Headliner

Today I woke up early since I knew the Iron Man 1/2 was going on down by the pier.  Blockades were up, and police manning all nearby intersections.  I road my bike to the coffee stand and chatted with an older guy still living in the 70's with wind blown hair and a wide mustache proudly propped on his tanned, weathered face.  He said "They'd come round again bout 10".  I really wanted to get going on the 912 headliner since there was some anticipation towards this project from past projects, specifically, the last one I attempted on the pipe dream 23 window delux microbus I stumbled upon when living in Stephenville, TX, right out of school with a boring first job, needing anything to distract me.  Anyway, long story short, the head in the cloud samba had 23 windows, and a sliding ragtop...our relationship suddenly went love-hate.  Good times back then.  It is hard to believe that was 17 years ago!  A gust of wind just rushed by.  Life has been grand is so many ways, the one below is just as beloved as many previous classics I'd had the pleasure of owning and driving, and many restore.  I keep saying this is the last car...but my neighbor calls out, "You said that 3 cars ago" with a smirk on his face, and I can't resist believing he is telling the truth.  Well, old dog, new tricks was never something that comes easy to many who have enjoyed their tracks, however, glass has been beckoning me once again, and this time it feels like it is more here to stay.  I might pick up a used annealer on Monday...Still have some thinking to do since I have a cluster of projects scattered throughout Jaime's mad scientist lab at the beach.  The size of a house can be a good thing :-)  especially when you left your mantra many miles down the road, but it keeps calling your name, whispering, Jaime, Simplify~  Ahhhhhh...it just feels good hearing it!  So you can see I'm knee deep in a motor in one room, plus everything else that needs to go on this 912, and much, much more, which I will not bore you with.

Today the headliner went in wonderfully....I took my time.  From noon, besides the paper clip run, till 7 pm, I diligently worked, constantly reviewing to insure the headliner was going in wrinkle free.  I still have to cut the sunroof hole, and wrap the pillars, and start putting the interior back in, plus windows...etc.  It's starting to come together much quicker now, and with Spring in the air, it is a relief!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home