Latest in life~
It's nearly April, 2013 and things are starting to come together slowly on the 912. Work has been horrendous with new product development efforts at a quick pace. The garden is looking great. The fig, apricot, and persimmon trees are all in bloom. There is many varieties of lettuce, kale, chard and pepper in the garden along with some herbs.
Last weekend I only put a couple hours into prepping the sunroof, by running the wiring through the A-Pillar and gluing sunroof seals to the car and the roof. Two weeks ago I dropped off most of the chrome to Escondido Plating and got a quote at 2380 to do it all...wow...expensive! But it needed to be done, and he has everything at his facility to do it and he warranties his work. Today the parts came in looking fabulous. The two front horn grills needed some rework and he was happy to do it. I shot photos of my front room with Fuchs Alloys off a 1968 911 I picked up on C-List for a deal. The interior parts are in the room too after having a great deal at Thomas Pocias Trim in Sorrento Valley put everything together for $900, and that was a really good price. His work is par none. There is the underside of the gas tank I stripped, has boiled out at a radiator shop, then powder coated and I undercoated the underside as shown.
It is Easter weekend. I need to get some work done for a client, with 3 others in the ranks, and then hop back on the Porsche on Saturday and Sunday to try and get closer to installing the headliner. With all this chrome, I'll probably start with that first since I need to assemble the window frames with new rubber.
I have to admit, this project is more involved than any auto restoration project I've ever done. I actually like reassembly. It is all the dirty prep work that is a drag, like paint and body....plus that is the toxic part too. If I ever get involved in another resto, which is likely knowing me, I will farm out the dirty work and avoid the toxic mess.
I'm also getting super excited about starting glass again. I had lunch with a blower at sea and felt like it could be my calling for a while. Now I'm hunting down an annealer and will begin again soon....but first thing is first and that is finishing this car!
Last weekend I only put a couple hours into prepping the sunroof, by running the wiring through the A-Pillar and gluing sunroof seals to the car and the roof. Two weeks ago I dropped off most of the chrome to Escondido Plating and got a quote at 2380 to do it all...wow...expensive! But it needed to be done, and he has everything at his facility to do it and he warranties his work. Today the parts came in looking fabulous. The two front horn grills needed some rework and he was happy to do it. I shot photos of my front room with Fuchs Alloys off a 1968 911 I picked up on C-List for a deal. The interior parts are in the room too after having a great deal at Thomas Pocias Trim in Sorrento Valley put everything together for $900, and that was a really good price. His work is par none. There is the underside of the gas tank I stripped, has boiled out at a radiator shop, then powder coated and I undercoated the underside as shown.
It is Easter weekend. I need to get some work done for a client, with 3 others in the ranks, and then hop back on the Porsche on Saturday and Sunday to try and get closer to installing the headliner. With all this chrome, I'll probably start with that first since I need to assemble the window frames with new rubber.
I have to admit, this project is more involved than any auto restoration project I've ever done. I actually like reassembly. It is all the dirty prep work that is a drag, like paint and body....plus that is the toxic part too. If I ever get involved in another resto, which is likely knowing me, I will farm out the dirty work and avoid the toxic mess.
I'm also getting super excited about starting glass again. I had lunch with a blower at sea and felt like it could be my calling for a while. Now I'm hunting down an annealer and will begin again soon....but first thing is first and that is finishing this car!




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home