Thursday, May 29, 2014

Floyd's Homecoming!

Tessa and I are super excited to have Floyd on board for adventures around home and in the outback of Australia.  After a nerve racking week of lodging custom's import declarations for my belongings and our vehicle, I was able to get Floyd out of customs and quarantine today.  I was planning on camping out there until Custom's let him loose.  If he didn't make it out in time, they were going to charge over $600 per day just for storing my belongings, plus some more for the vehicle.

Prior to shipping out of California, I had the underside of Floyd steam cleaned, then I undercoated the underside and meticulously cleaned every nook and cranny on the inside including all the furniture inside.  The quarantine inspector did a very thorough job inspecting more places than I would have ever imagined, and luckily there was not any organic matter, or any critters running around to rack up some major fees.  He commented that if I wanted to sell Floyd, I'd get mint.  I replied with, Floyd is an undeniable keeper, and let him know after 27 years of vdubs, you know when you have one for keeps.

After pouring what fuel we had in the lawn mower can into Floyd, I took off from the Brisbane depot with maybe a gallon of gas.  I got that feeling you get when you're on a road trip and you're not sure if you'll make it to the next gas station, and then one suddenly appears and you feel like you're at an oasis between thirsty highways.  I was so glad to finally get some gas station nourishment for Floyd and myself.  We made it home in good shape, cruising at decent speeds with a heavy load as the sun set behind us.  It seems like the hard part is over!

Floyd sleeping just outside the roll up door of the shed castle.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yay Floyd!!!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Botanist said...

Great to hear Floyd is safe and ready for new adventures Down Under! :)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Thank Henri and Dario...Tessa and I are both very happy to have our camper here! Thanks for sharing the joy! Hope you two are doing very well.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home