Nearly Spring!
Wow! A month jumped by while we were hibernating in the shed castle doing our best to stay warm, while continuing on with the mission of aiming to live a more sustainable life. The good news is food is plentiful and grows year round in this mild climate as found out last Friday at the Mullum farmer's market. I was able to purchase many spray free and organic veggies to keep us feeling vital in the cooler months when warm foods takes main course.
I left off a month ago trying to build a warm place for us as well as to finish and sell the Toyota van. I changed the camshaft seal, applied a new gasket to the oil pan and fixed a couple other items. I didn't like the non matching touch ups, so I bought a liter of paint for $56 to give a more professional repair to the side of the vehicle that needed cosmetic rust repair, but have yet to clear a space to make the job trouble free.
This is the task for today, to clear out the extra lumber for the part of the loft we didn't complete due to not wanting to install windows in the winter time. This will open up the car port for a quick touch up, and then a roadworthy on the Toyota so it will be a "drive away" sale as required by Queensland law. We used to have to do safety inspection in Texas too, but I've been spoiled with a lack of this in CA and Oregon after leaving Texas in 1998.
Over the weekend I helped setup for a community gardens talk on the environment. I met some very kind people that organised the event and saw some lovely food bearing gardens. I was solicited to help out on the next event happening on September 7, and enjoyed meeting so many passionate characters the first time, that I agreed to 4 hours, although it will likely become a full day.
Tessa and I stopped by the community pottery shop having their 3rd Saturday of the month sale and found out I can sign up this Thursday as a member, allowing me to have my own key to the studio. I'm looking forward to that, and may join the lapidary club as well since they have very reasonable rates for resources that would be well out of my budget otherwise.
Tessa has been planting seeds and starters in the garden, along with help from Megan, and Joel. We're enjoying the many transformations to the land and house as we make further improvements.
We've been hanging out with neighbors, Dave and Robin while they brush burn before permits are required.
At the community gardens, speaking of the unanimous gas field free zones our communities have agreed on, allowing this region to preserve the healthy air and water by avoiding the fracking going on in other parts. Mullum's mayor was there to receive the gas field free declarations while impressing me with his down to earth speech, acknowledging all those that made it possible. There were also council members present.
I left off a month ago trying to build a warm place for us as well as to finish and sell the Toyota van. I changed the camshaft seal, applied a new gasket to the oil pan and fixed a couple other items. I didn't like the non matching touch ups, so I bought a liter of paint for $56 to give a more professional repair to the side of the vehicle that needed cosmetic rust repair, but have yet to clear a space to make the job trouble free.
This is the task for today, to clear out the extra lumber for the part of the loft we didn't complete due to not wanting to install windows in the winter time. This will open up the car port for a quick touch up, and then a roadworthy on the Toyota so it will be a "drive away" sale as required by Queensland law. We used to have to do safety inspection in Texas too, but I've been spoiled with a lack of this in CA and Oregon after leaving Texas in 1998.
Over the weekend I helped setup for a community gardens talk on the environment. I met some very kind people that organised the event and saw some lovely food bearing gardens. I was solicited to help out on the next event happening on September 7, and enjoyed meeting so many passionate characters the first time, that I agreed to 4 hours, although it will likely become a full day.
Tessa and I stopped by the community pottery shop having their 3rd Saturday of the month sale and found out I can sign up this Thursday as a member, allowing me to have my own key to the studio. I'm looking forward to that, and may join the lapidary club as well since they have very reasonable rates for resources that would be well out of my budget otherwise.
Tessa has been planting seeds and starters in the garden, along with help from Megan, and Joel. We're enjoying the many transformations to the land and house as we make further improvements.
A panoramic view of the beach at Bruns taken on my iPhone.
We've been hanging out with neighbors, Dave and Robin while they brush burn before permits are required.
An early shot of Tess painting the carport floor.
At the community gardens showing the panel of speakers talking about environment and community related topics.
Tessa, strumming her guitar by the fire, always adding an artistic flair where ever she may be.
A look at the birdhouse loft with the windows slid open. There is a secret passage to get inside the birdhouse that remains a mystery, unless you come for a visit. :-)










0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home