Saturday, October 05, 2013

Summer into Fall 2013

Wow!  Lots going on, so my updates have been a little late.

 I enlarged my deck in April so I could eventually put my glass studio there. 4/13
 At the same time I found all this wood for $100 on Craigslist, which would allow me to put a roof over the studio. 4/14
 On the 17th I built this curved wall to follow the lines of the deck and block the studio from the street, plus keep the cool breeze from chilling the glass.  You can see the stain going on in the lower left corner.  The avocado tree is just starting out in front of the studio.
 Moving forward into may, I'm sound proofing Happy with dynamat like material.
 Next comes more sound proofing, and the original hogs hair pads on the sides.
 Later that eve, I meet up with friends at La Papagayo in Encinitas for happy hour.  5/11
 Next comes the felt and the German vinyl, seals, and windows.  5/13
 Now I'm up in Santa Cruz with my wonderful friend Sam, ready to go see an exclusive Beck acoustic show at the Rio.  The night before we got to see Devendra Banhart which was also an epic show.  Beck kept forgetting the lyrics to his songs, and it made the show even more genuine.  He was in full Beck form with some rapping sessions where he was going off on the mic and doing some robot dance moves.  Loved the whole weekend.  Got to meet Faren and went to a cool beach with Sam. 5/19
 On June, 9th, I went to the VW Classic in Irvine and picked up some parts for Floyd.  Had a good time chatting with the dubsters.  Tons of beautiful vintage classics.
I got to ride this street fighter for a few weeks and had a blast on this peppy agile 800.
 I went to Dwell on Design this year and checked out the tiny house movement.  I saw some nice designs and liked the ithouse the most, but the price was a little out of reach.  I designed my own pad and bought windows and have doors, but decided an RV would be an easier setup.  See Stella below.


 I'm Uncle Jaime to Brenan and Harper, Nicole and Jimbo's twins.  They loved the bike.  It was Nicole's Bday celebration that night.
 Trekking out to Santa Fe and stopping in the enchanted forests of Sedona on the way!
 I jumped in the cold water in the morning after sleeping in the back of my SUV...it woke me up and brought me back to my senses in no time.
 Here is a shot of my Uncle Pat at some gallery in Santa Fe.  They were amazing hosts and took me all over that wonderfully artsy town in their 1961 British Racing Green sliding sunroof bug.  We had good times!
 Some glass art I love!
 On 7/18 I met my cute, artist friend Michelle out for lunch and for some hiking down to the beach near the Palisades.
 On the 19th I finalizing the assembly of the 912 engine.
 On the 20th, I had to take the engine out of the white 912, and install the rebuilt engine in that car.  The engine that came out of the white 912, went into Happy, the Bahama Yellow 912.  A big job!
 My digs on 7/22.  This is the second story of my house and no matter what is happening in the downstairs, I try to keep this clean and organized
The night before my birthday I went to Joe Cariati's open house to see Martin blow some amazing glass with friends from UCSD craft center.  We had good conversations as James drove Ron, Patty and myself to LA.
On July 29th I went for a surf at Beacon's in Leucadia in Floyd and opened the tattered canvas pop top for some fresh ocean breezes.  What a view!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home