Sometimes you're in the ghetto!
I need to rewind...when I got back to the states, after Australia, I was flat broke. I picked up this ugly duckling of a Karmann Ghia on Craigslist, and I felt like a sweep stakes winner on that special day in Oakland California when I drove up in Cloudy to find this shamed Ghia on its last legs. This little sucker had been neglected terribly, and it showed. You could see the sadness reflected in other's eyes like they were acknowledging their own humility of how it feels to get old. The shiny nose was the start of wiping the bondo off the front where Sky Blue had been punched in the nose, and popping it back out with a hammer aimed at a ball bearing to create the center crease so crisply distinguished on a factory Ghia.
Not much to look at!
Then, the rust conversion made it look like it had a bad case of acne.
The funny part of the story is this was my ride when I returned from Oz, and I wasn't in the best shape. The car and I looked like something out of a Tom Wait's video. I tried to ship shape up and headed to a meeting in Oceanside, attempting to fulfill my legal appointment from my partner's need to have me receive legal council regarding divorce documents. I think driving this car with the top down up coast highway wearing a tie was my low point. I ended up at Hill Street Cafe, with the owner, Dan, serving as my legal council after leaving a mob law firm wanting to charge a $1000 retainer to sign a document I previously typed and hand delivered. I was shocked, then grateful and relieved in a matter of minutes. Driving past that cafe was a saving grace and Dan is a very cool guy to have as your divorce attorney, especially when you divorce online. You have to love the internet! You don't even have to leave your house anymore.
So, call her Sky Blue or ghetto chopper! It really didn't matter...but what was coming next, needed some refinements, prior to showing up.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home