Thursday, February 16, 2017

Keeping track of the progress

So, this might come as very dull info to any of your out there reading, however as I get older, there is a deeper interest in the details that interconnect one thing to the next and how the outcomes are achieved.  These photos are mostly for my edification of knowing how lengthy and detail oriented the paint prep process is, as well as the taste of sweet success once this project is complete...yes, I am enjoying the journey, and this blog documents the wonderful days of freedom spent restoring this classic among others.  If I wasn't in a sunny, warm part of the world with an immense amount of rare parts floating around, or the internet to bring them to me, this wouldn't be possible.  However, I also know that my days of restoring are numbered due to the intense physical demands that are placed on the body, and with a back that needs tending to, this might be the last restoration for a while.

So, these are the photos from yesterday, ending with this morning.

 The morning started out with the dark gray self etching primer from the night prior protecting any bare metal.


 I then, scuffed the entire body and sprayed a 4:1:1 mix, creating a medium primer/fill coat to assist in smoothing.  All prior primer coats were 4:1:2, meaning 4 parts primer, to 1 part catalyst, and 2 parts reducer, or thinner.





 I block sanded the body using my foam pad with dry paper.







I then dry sanded using a block of wood, all the way down to 60 grit in some places such as fenders with major curves, but 80 in most and 120 for flat areas like the doors and hood.

I then primed as the sun set.


After work and my 3rd shower for the day, I took a bike ride to the ocean and shot some photos of the sunset with my iPhone.  It was a glorious day, ending with some news of the Trump chaos we are witnessing on all levels.  I slept pretty sound and will get back out today to bring the Ghia to the next level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home