Monday, February 20, 2017

Monday's progress...

Well it took a while to get going today.  I went on a bike ride this morning to the end of the board walk and back which helped get me off to a good start.  I also emptied my workshop garbage cans, recycling from the house, and compost.

I had a couple green smoothies throughout the day with cilantro, chlorella, and pea protein among other fruits and veggies.  I then had an appetizer plate with hummus, crackers, cukes, celery, and squash soup.  The weather turned nice around 11am, when the sun came out, and stayed around 65F today.

I worked on smoothing out the filler I put on a few days back, and wanted to put a near final smearing on, but ended up media blasting the battery hold down bracket that came with the car that must have come off in the accident since the four spot welds were pulled out.  I also welded up the three holes that were drilled for speaker wires.  I'll reroute those prior to painting, but in a more covert way.  I was able to grind down the welds and do a little detail work on the metal bead that holds the engine seal in place as well.

It was a good day listening to NPR and music while working in a relaxed way smoothing out the final touches.  I'm planning on making some dinner, then picking up the items that were left out.  I'll likely relax to a movie tonight, and hope to get a good start tomorrow with another bike ride in the morning.


 A tasty lunchtime break outside on the patio of the tiny home.


The welder is hooked up on my temporary ramp for ease of transport, and ready to stitch a few holes.


 I started in the trunk and was able to remove the tab off these roofing nails since they were the right thickness, not galvanized and the right diameter.  The one on the left allowed the tab to help hold the nail, while the one on the right was pressed into place with the handle of my hammer.


It was getting dark, but this is the finished set of 3 holes welded up, and grinded before priming.


This little bracket was lying under the backseat with plenty of corrosion forming all over it.  I turned on my compressor, and media blasted it to remove all the corrosion, then drilled out the holes in the sheetmetal on the car to make sure the bracket would register properly, clamped it and welded it in. 


 I also used a chamfer bit to clean up the 8mm hole to the left and insured the threads are clean and working well.  I have the other bracket that bolts to the left side to hold the battery in place.  Most old cars are missing these parts after years of abuse and often what turns to rusted sheetmetal, and some backyard hack job not concerned about details that count.


The end of the night and the many tools that made their way onto my workspace.  One day if I am still at it, it would be ideal to have a garage and just roll down the door at the end of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home